Thursday, 10 December 2015

24 Doodles - 10

More experimenting with repetition to achieve stylisation, this time from March, in a fish restaurant in Greece. By the end I got to something which I think would make quite a fun character design for a druid or something, but really has very little to do with the poor chap enjoying his calamari across the way. For one thing, he seemed to age twenty years with each iteration...

Meanwhile, the notes are the very first seed of what eventually became The Goliath Window, though as you can see nothing about the story beyond the first idea of 'portrait painter and sitter' emerged that evening, with the possible exception of the idea of a model's discomfort at having to pose upside down for St Peter, which arguably eventually turned into the 'holding the spear aloft' sequence. Though just as arguably, it didn't. 




(Incidentally, the French painter I was trying to remember was GĂ©ricault.  )

7 comments:

Daedalus said...

I'm surprised they let you leave the country with such a fine work of art.

Kirsty said...

I love your stylisation!

Tealin said...

On his journey through stylisation, Mr Calamari passes through looking rather like Ed Catmull...

Thanks for the lead on GĂ©ricault! Those portraits are so much unlike his more formal work. Really amazing.

Anonymous said...

Not only do I admire your drawings but also your handwriting.

Lothiriel said...

I really love your 'druid' doodle! Now I need to remember which (Disney, possibly?) character he reminds me of...

Lothiriel said...

(Your blog just asked me to verify I'm not a robot by selecting pictures of aeroplanes. Has Martin Crieff taken up a side job in IT, I wonder?)

Anonymous said...

I want to thank Julia Navaro for the loan given to me by her loan company NAVARO LOAN COMPANY. Needed a loan to start a my boutique and didn't know how to get a loan until I was introduce to NAVARO LOAN COMPANY by a friend online and she approved my loan of $300,000 with minimum income of $10 and now am a successful woman. If you need any type of loan from any country and of any amount at an interest rate of 2% contact Julia Navaro at
Navaroloancompany@yahoo.com and live a happy life.